Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Thunder

One member of our discussion commented that she usually thought things like a voice from the sky or a vision as recounted in the Gospels as more natural events, with a supernatural interpretation.

Actually, you can find some evidence for that in the text itself. (I misspoke and said I thought this occurred in one of the accounts of Jesus' baptism, but it is later on in John's gospel.)

This scene is just before Jesus is betrayed:
"I am troubled now. Yet what should I say? 'Father, save me from this hour'? But it was for this purpose that I came to this hour. Father, glorify your name."

Then a voice came from heaven, "I have glorified it and will glorify it again."

The crowd there heard it and said it was thunder; but others said, "An angel has spoken to him."

John 12:26-29

No comments:

Post a Comment